Saturday, October 9, 2010

Japanese Names

Well I've been in Japan for almost 4 weeks now. I'm starting to get a feel for the Japanese way of life but one thing still eludes me. I've made a lot of new friends here and have been introduced to so many different individuals it's been great. My Japanese is flourishing from it and although there is still much I don't know I'm really getting into the flow of the language. However, I cannot for the life of me ever remember these names!!!! Hiroyuki, Tomogawa, Takki, Hitomi, Erika (okay that's easy to remember), Mayu, Miwa, Emi, and a host of other names just seem to flow into one ear and immediately right out the other. When I first got here they thought it was a fun to ask me "Do you remember my name?"
Nowadays that's died down (thank God) but the problem still persists. So now, whenever I see someone I just have to play the "I know you but I'm going to dance around your name" game.
Also, the "all Asians look alike" thing is sometimes not so far off. Sometimes I'll meet someone knew and before I introduce myself I think (dear God have I met this person before?!) They don't look familiar but that doesn't mean I haven't met them...So instead of taking action I just stand their awkwardly...they look at me, I look at them, back to looking at me, I quickly look away, repeat. Eventually they either build up the courage to introduce themselves (if they haven't already), say hello to me (if they already knew me), annnnd that's pretty much how it's been.
Not only that but I've yet to come up with any sort of sensible plan to remember these names....I'm screwed!!!! Oh why do Japanese names have to be like this?!

No comments: